Thursday, August 01, 2013

The Mercy Prayer



I was really looking forward to reading "The mercy prayer", I think our culture in general forgets that God desires to give mercy to His children. That He desires to give good gifts to them, we're surrounded by such loud (and wrong) voices out there that scream about God's hate, its nice to be reminded of His love.
Gelinas did a great job of conveying the message of mercy in his book, I love that while he was abundantly clear about God desiring to give out mercy, that He also included the expectations that God has for His children as well! I think there's too many times where people only get half that message, and what a disservice it is to them, not to know how to live fully in the way that God intended!
To me the centeral theme of the book was found in Psalm 103:8 "The Lord is compassionate, and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in love". I also love that the author included the example of practical ways for us to show God's mercy to the world, many authors/preachers love to say we need to show mercy, but don't usually adequately explain how to do that. So I really appreciate Gelinas willingness to really teach his readers not only that they need to show mercy, but how to do so too!
I believe this is one of those life changing books, that will leave you seeking more of God and a willingness to do the work of God in turn.
I highly recommend this book!

No comments: