Thursday, April 04, 2013

Scent of Lilacs

Cover Art

I'm used to reading the Shaker books from Ann H. Gabhart, so its always a surprise and delight to find a book of hers that is of other things. Having read Angel Sister (which I have re-read repeatedly, its an amazing book) I know that Gabhart is a fantastic and strong writer who really puts emotion and thought into her stories.
this time wasn't any different, and this book is right up in line with "Angel Sister". I adored this book, there are not enough good things to say about this fantastic and heartwarming story. I love the characters in the book, they're unique and witty, yet they have a aura of realism to them too. Like you could easily meet them outside the pages of the book!
Our main character we read about is Jocie, who is a bit of a tomboy yet also becoming a young woman. As she struggles within her own changes, the world around Jocie drastically changes as well. Raised by her father after Jocie's mother and sister left, Jocie dreams of one day seeing again her older sister. She is however surrounded by love within her small community, with both family members and co-workers of her father. In the midst of a confusing time, Jocie's small world is shattered by a revelation and a horrible accident. We journey with her as she struggles to understand who she is and what all these new revelations make her.
Honestly, this is one of THE BEST books I have read. Period. I love the story, I love the characters, and I love the message. And I am absolutely overjoyed to see that this is a series, I cannot wait to read the future books in this serious.
I highly recommend this book, I cannot say enough good things about it!

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group".
 

No comments: