Tuesday, April 09, 2013

A Hero's Throne



This is the second book of Ross Lawhead's in The Ancient earth trilogy, I had read "The realms There under" and enjoyed it immensely, so I had some very high expectations for this book!
One of the issues I had with the first book, which did happen quite a bit more frequently in Lawhead's second book, was that his characters had these massive dialogues, that were difficult to follow, and rather sporadic. This was much more apparent in his second book than the first. I struggled through much of the book, to keep up with the story, and understand where there characters were going and their interactions with each other. but even within that, there were moments in the book of absolute suspense and wit. When he's got a good flow down, Lawhead very much reminds me of Tolkien, or C.S. Lewis. So although I can't claim to have enjoyed this book as much as the first one in the series, I'm not ready yet to give up on this author. When he's good, he's VERY GOOD. I love the idea of this story, and once I can figure out the ebb and flow of the book, I generally enjoy it very much.
If you decide to read this book, I highly recommend you read the first one in the series. This is not the kind of book that will make sense on its own, you do need the back story!!

No comments: