Thursday, May 24, 2012


Empty Promises: The Truth About You, Your Desires, and the Lies You've Believed  -     
        By: Pete Wilson

I don't think I've ever read a book that I've loved as much and hated as much as this one. What the author Pete Wilson speaks about in his book convicted me like crazy. I (like many out there) got caught up on being more, on having more. I needed to be better looking, I needed to have more items, I needed to be better than others. I had this need to be on top, to be the best out there, and it wasn't even a need that I was fully aware of. As a Pastor's Wife, I tend to follow the stereotypical thought that I need to be the best, the most loving, the most giving, the one in church who doesn't have issues, who doesn't fall short.
Throughout the book I was able to pinpoint instances where I had the same feelings that the author was describing. Now I've read books and heard speakers who tell us that we need to move beyond those needs, but they seem to rarely give us the tools to actually move past, they've pointed out the problems but have never given a solution. I was so thankful to the author that instead of just pointing out these area's in our lives where we're holding on to these "empty promises" he also gives Biblical tools on how to move beyond this. I also appreciated very much how he showed his own personal struggles in his book, I'm the type of person who will very rarely take advice from those who haven't been where I've walked, who don't know what I've gone through. So I appreciated his personal approach to this, by showing that he's had these struggles, that he's come against the same feelings as the rest of us, and then he goes on to give a Biblical approach on how to get past them.
I love this book, and am planning on ordering the Bible Study kit to do with our church. There are so many times where we claim a book "changed our lives", this isn't one of those books. Reading this didn't change my life, it instead has put me on a continuous journey in getting to know my Creator better and getting to know what my walk with Him should be. I highly recommend this book.


"Book has been provided courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Thomas Nelson
".  

No comments: